Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Today they had a "Tunnel of Oppression" near my dorm...yep, that's what it was called. We didn't really know what it was, so we decided to go for fun. It wasn't very fun. It was a kind of "museum of tolerance" type of thing, showing how apathy and different types of oppression towards others can build up around us and inside of us, without us really being aware of it. Like being mean to a homeless guy, or making fun of homosexuals. Kind of cheesy, but hey--at least they were trying to spread a good message, right? I got this good quote out of it too, which I will share:

In Germany, they first came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up becaue I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionist, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the homosexuals, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a homosexual.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me--but by that time no one was left to speak up.
--Pastor Martin Niemoller

No comments: