Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Havana good time*

So my big news that I teased two days ago and then forgot to mention yesterday is....
I'm going to CUBA!

My parents were actually the ones who brought up the idea. They travelled to China right after the country opened its borders in the '70s (I think around that time?), and were able to see people when the main mode of transportation was bicycles, and everyone was wearing Mao jackets. So they thought it would be a good time to get a jump on the tourism industry and try to visit Cuba before EVERYONE is doing it.

So we're gonna pay a little extra cash (a lot extra cash, in my opinion, but it's worth it) to take a guided tour before the country starts to truly take part in the tourism industry. Or at least, that's our reasoning. I think we're not exactly sure what we'll see, but hopefully it will be worth it! I will actually be traveling with my parents and my good friend from undergrad, Alicia (Ari can't go since it's during the school year, and Leah just doesn't have the funds right now, and Cammy just bought a house and is getting married, so...). I'm so happy I'll have a travel buddy! Alicia and I traveled to Costa Rica together back in 2009, so we already know that we get along fine in other (Spanish-speaking!) countries. This tour promises to be a lot less stressful because it's 100% guided, but here's hoping we still get to have some adventures.

I'm not going till the first week of January (January 3-8), so it's a bit of a ways away. But I'm pretty excited!

*I totally googled "Cuba puns" to find that title. 

2 comments:

hanner said...

That's awesome!! Robbie went for school and he said it was amazing. He brought back the cutest little dress for Rhoda that was like three bucks buuuut it was sized for like a newborn. Oops. Anyway I'm really excited for your trip!

kate said...

Of Course Robbie's been there! (It seems like he's been to a lot of places, right?) Anyway, I think I maybe saw the dress you're talking about on Instagram? Was it embroidered? Maybe I will buy a similar adult-size dress for myself when I go there. May end up buying all the souvenirs for myself.