Monday, December 22, 2003

Some random thoughts:
Had the Xmas party last night. It was nice! Everyone I hoped to see showed up, and even though I didn't really get to have an "in-depth" conversation with each person, it was still really nice to have everyone come by. Our haphazard caroling was fun. Poor Cammy--left early because she was still adjusting to the west-coast time change. But at least she came for some (most?) of it!

I saw Pieces of April today at the Academy. Yep, I know, if it's playing at that theater, that means it's old news. But I still hadn't seen it yet (Thanks, Davis). That movie is great. I mean it. It is definitely one of the best movies I have seen in a while. Better than Girl with a Pearl Earring, Last Samurai, at least a little better than Station Agent. So yes. If you see a movie this week, see Pieces of April before it leaves theaters completely. It's hilarious and poignant and all that blah blah blah.

One last thing: I'm reading Cold Mountain, because I figured I should actually read the book before I see the movie, especially since I'm pretty much the last person on the planet who hasn't read it yet. So I'm almost done with it...and I don't know if I still want to see the movie! Ha ha. Of course I'll still see the movie. It's got Jude Law and Jack White in it, who am I kidding? But the book is so...depressing! And violent! I mean, I know it's very poetically-written, but...in basically every other chapter someone gets killed! I'm so sick of it! Maybe I'm missing something. I think I am. Because the novel is basically a "modern-day classic" or something like that. Oh well. Maybe it'll all come together at the end.

No comments: