Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Upon my impending move to New York, (and my current 3-week vacation), I will make another attempt at resurrecting this blog. Ideally, I'll post little anecdotes from my life in Manhattan/Harlem, so people who are interested can stay up-to-date.

But I'm not in New York yet! So I will post some other random thoughts/activities instead.

1. My goal before leaving is to finish all the issues of The New Yorker. My father and I somewhat thoughtlessly subscribed to it back in December, after I made my first trip out to visit Ari and kind of fell in love with the city all over again. Did you know that you get a new issue every week? Thus, it's a bit challenging to get through one when you're also working virtually full-time. Anyway, I've made it through about 5 issues in one week; I've got to speed up my game here.

2. My mother and I have created a "No New Clothing" pledge, which I've read about on some fashion blogs. The idea is not to buy any new clothing for a certain amount of time; in our case, six months. No new clothing or jewelry purchased, although shopping at Goodwill or Salvation Army is allowed. This is an excellent time for me to take up this challenge, since the starting date will be my first day of classes at Columbia.

3. Cooking again--I found some inspiring recipes on Andrea's blog that I've been meaning to make for a while. Vegetarian chili first! And after that some Thai curry (not from her blog, but just my own attempt).

4. Going to see terrible movies! Ok, not a goal, but it seems to be happening regardless. I saw Dinner for Schmucks last weekend with Michelle in Davis, and it was pretty much the worst comedy I've seen all year. Made the mistake of NOT consulting my trusty LA Times beforehand. And then today I'm probably going to see Sex & the City 2 with Leah. Although at least that will only be $2.

That's all I can think of at the mo. Alright, time to get back to my New Yorker. I must finish another one today!

2 comments:

hanner said...

these updates make me laugh and i want to address all of them individually.

1-"thoughtlessly subscribing" to the new yorker = lol. my dad loves it! but i agree, so hard to get through one a week! geez. i don't even dedicate that much time to my formal education.

2-good job on the no new clothing. i keep thinking i want to do that but i can't commit. i've just resorted to complaining about my current wardrobe and not doing anything about it. or just making new clothing.

3-andrea's blog is very inspiring and i trust her recipes more than i do others, haha.

4-robbie and i rented "le dîner de cons" (dinner for schmucks is based on it) and it was SO BAD. movies based on plays just don't do the trick all the time. it really felt like they were trying to keep the stage feel in the movie. weird.

and can i just emphasize how excited i am to have another NYC friend to visit??! seriously! tim gomez lives out there too and we had such a fun time with him when we went in the spring. so i'm just saying, i wanna come see you.

kate said...

Yes! Hannah, I am quite entertained by your responses to my points. And I can't wait to see you too! I have a few friends in DC at the mo, so I will definitely be coming down there sometime as well.