Friday, August 27, 2010

Ici, in NYC

So I am officially moved into my dorm (more like an apartment, really) on 121st street, in the "Monrningside Heights" area of Manhattan. Doesn't that name sound nice? It is nice. The weather has been BEAUTIFUL ever since I moved in here (yesterday morning), and the people are friendly, and...yeah.

My room is great too! I will post pics of it soon. It still looks a little too bare and depressing for me to be motivated to take pictures yet. But I will as soon as I'm satisfied with its homeyness.

I had my first "meet and greet" style orientation tonight, where all the "singles" dorm people meet up for cheese and crackers. It wasn't too bad! I tend to get overwhelmed by large groups of people I don't know, but I met a few nice ladies (it's about 90% ladies at Columbia Teachers College), and quite a few of them (the first 4 I met) are from Southern California! Good? Bad? I'm trying not to worry too much about it. At least I have people to commiserate with about the weather when it goes to the dark side.

So the main issue I'm facing at the mo' is, food is SO EXPENSIVE. There are lots of adorable little "bodegas" around (that's what people seem to call them), but a quart of soy milk costs $3. A box of cereal is $6. Two heads of broccoli are $3. So...I guess once Target starts carrying produce (next month), maybe I'll just make the half-hour trek up there and pick up the stuff I need. No fun. But good exercise!

----------
On an unrelated note, I bought Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals at the bookstore. I NEVER buy books! But I didn't want to stare longingly into space while I ate my Chipotle burrito yesterday. Anyway, I started it, and it's (not surprisingly) pretty good. He has a very readable, logical style. He actually (jokingly?) advocates eating stray dogs in one section, and he makes it sound very reasonable.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

okay--just got caught up on your blog/life! Glad you are adjusting to NY very well so far. It helps to have a nice boyfriend! :) (That pie looks delicious...)

Are there any farmers markets near your apartment? I'm definitely NOT schooled in the ways of grocery shopping in NY, but perhaps you could see if they had better prices there? Just a suggestion!

kate said...

Yeah, they actually had a farmer's market today, just a few blocks from my place! I bought a tiny jar of honey for $4, lol. Next time I think I will be braver and go for more vegetables!