Friday, January 29, 2010

Haven't posted in a while, but Salinger's death today inspired me.

After hearing about this death, I'm sure almost everyone flashed back to their "Salinger" moment (if they have one); I personally remember middle school, when I worked as the computer lab T.A. for Mrs. Soja, and had way too much time on my hands. I finished Catcher in the Rye during one of those slow days, and then immediately started reading it again. I enjoyed it so much I didn't want to put it down. So I read it twice in a row, with a time span of about 2 minutes between readings.

I also have memories of reading Nine Stories in Mrs. Swanson's 11th grad English class, and acting out scenes from the stories. Such a weird, albeit creative, idea. Nevertheless I remember feeling greatly moved by those stories as well, particularly the last one, entitled "Teddy."

4 comments:

Andrea said...

CITR is still one of my favorite books of all time... And after all the lit I've read in college too. It just never gets old for me.

hanner said...

"teddy" was SO unsettling, but i really liked it the best too. it also made for a lot of "i'll queen mary you if you don't get off the trunks this instant" jokes with ashlinn. (i don't remember exactly how the line goes except for "i'll ___ you if you don't ___".)

hanner said...

"I'll exquisite day YOU buddy, if you don't get down off that bag this minute."

Unknown said...

gosh Catcher in the Rye was like drug for me. It inspired a story called the Pope of Queens borough Bridge.