Sunday, June 15, 2003

it's raining, it's pouring
You knew the White Stripes were going to appear up here eventually! Well, the July issue of Interview Magazine was talking to Elton John about his favorite music right now, and I loved what he had to say:

Ingrid Sischy (for Interview Magazine): Okay Elton, it's summer and the stereo is on. What are you listening to?
Elton John: The White Stripes record, Elephant. It's one hell of an album. I haven't heard better rock and roll since Nirvana's Nevermind. Jack White's guitar playing is fabulous. Meg White's drumming is great. It reminds me of great blues music--really soulful, really heartfelt. It's because there are only two of them. Sometimes with small units-Cream, Jimi Hendrix, The Who--there's so much space betwen the musicians that the soul comes through. Elepant is really a classic album. I cannot stop playing it.
IS: And the people who say that they're just this year's flavor...
EJ: Well I don't think they can be this year flavor because they've made three albums before. The've been around for a while. They opened for the Roling Stones last year and they held their own. I also think the image they present is very interesting, and I love the fact that their music comes from the blues. All the great guitarists--Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Pete Townshend--all their music comes from the blues
IS: The whole attitude feels very American
EJ: Yeah, absolutely. The blues came out of America. But you know what's exciting about the White Stripes? The musicianship. With many American bands everything is a formula--They're quiet, then they're loud a bit, and the singers always sound the same. The White Strips have a star quality because they're different.
YES, Elton! I totally agree with you! The White Stripes DO have star quality!

I did have a game on here called Stripeout, which was like a White Stripes version of Pong, but then Cammy told me it didn't work. For a while you could download it, but I guess you can't anymore. I'm sure everyone is very disappointed about this, but don't worry! This site is so much better--just remember to have a sense of humor!

No comments: