Tuesday, July 12, 2011

CSA update!

My friend Micki works at a CSA near Columbia, and thanks to her connections, four of us decided to go in on a share of fruit, veggies, and EGGS! (Yes, I actually went up to the farm and met the chickens and confirmed that they were happy and ACTUALLY free range, so I don't have qualms about breaking my veganity for these specific eggs.)

I've been getting the food for about five weeks now, and it's a pretty interesting haul. Although I have to confess that Ari, the cook of the household, gets much more excited about it than me.

For fruit, which has been mighty tasty, we have gotten:
  • blueberries (The best)
  • strawberries (small and super sweet)
  • rhubarb (Ari made rhubarb muffins out of the stalks. The muffins were essentially cinnamon muffins but with rhubarb bits. Very tasty)
For veggies, we have gotten:
  • radishes
  • 1 whole beet (more to come, I believe)
  • carrots (only 3 carrots, actually, once we divided up the share)
  • epazote (interesting green; apparently it reduces gas after eating beans)
  • LOTS of varieties of lettuce
  • rue (which is apparently toxic in large quantities and can give you blisters...we decided not to eat it)
  • purslane (kind of tastes sour, but good in small quantities in salad)
  • mint
  • cilantro
  • chives
  • green onions
Ari loves to make salad dressings from scratch, so when we get a lot of greens, we generally just make a huge salad, which is kind of awesome. I usually feel very healthy afterward!

1 comment:

CCarter said...

YAY!! I love hearing about your CSA! So jealous you have blueberries already!