Sunday, June 28, 2015

These emotional times

I am an emotional person. I think I inherited this trait from my mother, who sees a front page picture of basically any disaster and gets tears in her eyes. It has been an especially emotional last couple of weeks--not only for me, but for the country.

June 17, 2015: The Charleston, SC church shooting. I actually saw this news when I was taking a 10-minute break from my reading class. I literally looked at the headline on my phone, started to tear up, and then realized that the break was over and I had to start teaching again. It took me another minute to get ahold of myself. This shooting really upset me because it seemed like proof of a combination of issues that so many Americans are unwilling to face: there is still so much racism in our country, and there is still way too little gun control. How do I, as an individual, do something about fixing those two problems? The video of Obama singing Amazing Grace at Pinckney's memorial recently broke my heart again.

June 25, 2015: The Supreme Court upheld the Affordable Care Act. I will admit, I didn't actually cry about this news. But in the days preceding the decision I was very nervous about the outcome, partly because I am enrolled in "Obamacare" myself, and partly because it just about damn time that we made insurance a little more accessible to middle class and poorer people. I am so relieved that I don't have to worry anymore about politically-motivated hindrances to the ACA.

June 26, 2015: There were several periods of tears today. First, on the subway when I checked the news on my phone on the way back from teaching my morning class. Then, when I saw everyone's joyous responses on Facebook and Instagram. So much support, from both straight and gay friends. I woke up this morning thinking how happy I was to be able to take part in this moment in American history, and looking foward to telling my children what a big deal this decision was for our generation. Hopefully, my children will view gay marriage the way that we now view interracial marriage -- as as right that is so obviously basic that it shouldn't have been an question in the first place.

So, it has been a couple weeks of emotional highs and lows. Most recently highs, thankfully, but as Buddhist philosophy holds, the only permanent thing is change. So I'll just keep on shedding my tears of sadness and joy as those changes come.

No comments: