Thursday, November 29, 2012

OK. And now it is time for a few photos.
Dinner with Sakti and Steve at their house!

Delicious homemade sambal (hot sauce)

Look at all that traditional Javanese food! The tempe was my favorite.

Weirdly shadowy picture of me, Sakti, Steve, and Jen.

Access Camp!!
Some of "my" kids (they were in my group) hanging out in the main building when it was pouring rain and we were all kind of cooped up.

It's a little hard to tell, but it's POURING outside. And yes, our campsite was gorgeous. And yes, there is a goose in the corner of that picture. I was kind of excited about the geese.

Another weirdly shadowy picture of me and Deirdre hanging out by the rain.

Jackie and Deirdre lead the campers in traditional American cheers. "One more time! Chicken style!"

Another shot of the gorgeous site. This was the (rather murky) swimming pool.

Jess teaches the campers (and me) a rhythm game called Boom Snap Clap.

Goofing around.

Jakarta!!
In Jakarta! After we left the camp, we came back to Jackie's apartment. She lives on the 26th floor in the heart of downtown. It was pouring rain at the time, so things look pretty foggy outside. And this is my attempted glamour shot.

Here's the REAL glamour shot--after we all got cream baths (a massage-conditioning treatment) and our hair blown out and pedicures. It was amazing. And it cost less than $11.

Then we put bags on our heads to walk back to the apartment because it was raining outside.

And we had entirely way too much fun squeezing four people in the back of a taxi to go out to dinner that night.

Jogjakarta!!
Skipping ahead past Native Speaker Day (I will try to steal someone else's pictures for that), this is Jen and I on the train to Jogjakarta. Sweaty but happy!

At Borobudur! They give us sarongs to respect the culture (I guess). It was hot, but beautiful.


With Deirdre and Christen

I just liked this face. Is it a dog, perhaps?


At the top of the temple, there are these things called stupas. Inside each one is a buddha. Kind of cool.

Deirdre meditates as Jon creepily watches.

I used this umbrella most of the time to keep the sun off. Perhaps the leopard print was a little disrespectful.

Cut to later in the day--Prambanan. Can you tell it was about to rain?

So awesome. As Holly said, it kind of feels like Mordor.

Deirdre, me, Christen, and Holly sitting among the ruins.

Today!!
And a total shift in gears: my Vocabulary class today! We were talking about protests and demonstrations, so I had them create slogans for bumper stickers (on the wall behind them). Then I made them all pose for a photo. I love these guys!

No comments: