Thursday, January 08, 2009

Now I need to watch 12 Angry Men. Or Runaway Jury?

As of yesterday, I am finished with FOUR WEEKS of jury duty! It wasn't four weeks straight; it actually only added up to 12 days. But due to the holidays, it ended up going over many weeks (and into a new year!).

And after all that work, it ended up being a hung jury. We had 11-1, not guilty. ONE WOMAN refused to change her mind. But even after all the frustration of not being able to reach a decision, I felt satisfied that we had truly done our best to discuss all the possibilities. And I guess that's how the whole system's supposed to work.

I think the best part of this jury duty was hanging out in downtown LA. And no, that's not sarcastic. Downtown has a lot of really awesome restaurants, gardens, museums, and shops. The Walt Disney Center, MOCA, Little Tokyo, Grand Central Market, etc. I definitely hope to get down there again and sightsee a bit more before leaving the area (if that happens).

4 comments:

grannybabs said...

I can see how jury duty could be interesting and rewarding - you are a good citizen.

Whenever I get called, I sit for half a day and then they dismiss me!

kate said...

Lucky! Although yes, as you say (and as my mother said), it's important to be a good citizen and serve if they decide they're keeping ya.

Aaron Wheeler said...

Just wanted to say - I hope you watched Runaway Jury! It's good, from what I remember. And Barton Fink is excellent! God do I love me some Coens.

Hope all is well!

kate said...

Hey, thanks Aaron!

Yeah, I've been on a Coens kick. Just watched Raising Arizona, and definitely saw some similarities between that and The Big Lebowski!