Thursday, November 05, 2015

The Pirate (1948)

One of my favorite genres of film is the cheesy (feel-good, if you will) classic Hollywood musical, especially the type made in the 40s and 50s.

The latest one I just watched was called The Pirate, and featured Judy Garland and Gene Kelly -- two of my favorites!

But this one was delightfully ridiculous. I'm not even going to get into the story here. I will let these pictures I took during my viewing of the DVD speak (mostly) for themselves.

This is the opening scene. That is Judy Garland's hat. She is not supposed to be a chef. 

Garland looks better here, but look at Gene Kelly's rather large and curly bangs! And that 'stache! 
And my favorite part - Gene Kelly dancing in very short shorts! My 12-year-old self would have died. 
One more for good measure. There was fire involved! 
And that is all. I hope you feel about these pictures the same way that I felt about the movie (read: I found it entertaining but rather bizarre)!


No comments: