Thursday, March 27, 2014

On writing fiction

I just read an interview with Tessa Hadley, whose short story appeared in a recent edition of the New Yorker. In one part of the interview, Hadley says of the main character:

"He exempts her from the ordinary effort of being her rather carefully constructed self, because he doesn’t recognize the self that she is." 

I suppose this quote doesn't look terribly ground breaking when it's taken out of context, but it hit me (again) how amazing it is that writers are able to so perfectly describe our thoughts and beliefs and our construction of various "selves." We may think that these thoughts and beliefs are unique to us, but they really connect us all; we all think in a similar way. 

But can you imagine being a person who is regularly able to peel back all of those layers and put it into words? I'm not sure I'd have the courage to do it. 

OK, deep thought of the day is over. 


No comments: