Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Reflections on being back in New York (and America)

I figure I'll take advantage of one of my last free evenings to write this blog post, since I'll be starting up with a new, more hectic teaching schedule next week (spring semester, woo hoo!).


  • Teaching adult ESL in this city is stressful. I have a master's degree now, which allows me to earn a living wage, but I can't imagine teaching in this city long term. I was teaching 18 hours at Pace University last semester. This coming semester they offered me nine hours--no warning, no apology. So I was luckily able to supplement those hours by joining the adjunct staff at Columbia. We'll see how the juggling of hours goes. I'm a little nervous. 
  • The weather here is not that bad. No really, I think I psyched myself out while living in the last year in Indonesia. I totally forgot that cold weather, for the most part, is manageable. SURE, it was literally 3 degrees during the daytime last week. And I realize we still have a few more months of winter left, during which time I may rescind this exact comment. But really--I have generally been able to stay warm enough and still have a life. 
  • I can't get enough movies or theater/music/cultural stuff. It's not New-York-specific, but it's been wonderful being able to use Netflix again. Add Film Forum (my one true theater love) and numerous free/discount show options, and it's hard to get bored. 
  • I really missed General Tso's tofu. I can't think of anything more worth the $5.50.
  • I don't want to live in New York City beyond the next couple years. 
  • I really wish our apartment was big enough for a cat. 


No comments: