Monday, May 06, 2013

Recent Goings-On

Perhaps unsurprisingly, things haven't really slowed down around these parts in the past few weeks. I've intentionally been trying to fill up my weekends and free days with stuff, be it for fun or work--just so that the final 1 1/2 months left in Indonesia don't drag too much.

Rather frustratingly, instead of just making the days fly by, I just kind of feel stressed. I am applying (a little) to jobs back home, so that I can try to have work when I get back to New York. I think this kind of duality (thinking about home while working a lot abroad) is not such a great combination. I wish I could just be thinking about one country. But that won't work right now. Not that I'm complaining. Oh wait, I am.

OK, I am done complaining for this post. Well, mostly. There might be some complaining later on, but it's really short.

Back to the task at hand: catching up on stuff. First of all, on April 15th, I had the two local ETAs, Ellen and Nina, come to speak to my cross-cultural understanding class about being minorities in the USA and Indonesia. I made the presentation an extra credit assignment, since they couldn't come to speak during normal class time. I was surprised to see that almost all the students from my 5 different classes showed up! We didn't have enough space in the room I'd prepared, so we had to fold up all the desks to the side of the room, and have students sit on the floor (something that Indonesian students are always more than happy to do, thankfully).

Ellen and Nina at the front of the room. 

ALL the students--over 100 packed in there. 

Post-presentation photo op. Thanks guys! 
On April 20, I took a car five hours out to Madiun, which is a small but cute town located southeast of Surabaya, to be a judge in an English karaoke singing/speech contest hosted by some ETAs there, Kelsey and Dana. Unfortunately, it was such a rushed visit, I didn't get a picture with the ETAs! I had a nice time, though. Those students could really sing! 

Me and the other judge (gah! Whose names escapes me.)

One of the first singers. She ended up winning second prize--great speech. She sang the song "Titanium." 

Madiun is known for its nasi pecel (spicy peanut sauce on sprouts and some kind of greens). Huh. I think I've visited three other cities in East Java that are ALSO known for nasi pecel. 
On April 25, I spoke with Jen, the other Fellow, at Muhammidiyah University in Surabaya. The topic was "Creative English Teaching." I went with the old standby: Teaching English through Poetry. I'm pretty sure I've given that presentation five times now. And it gets better (or at least easier) every time!!

Me looking like a dictator. 

On the drive back from Muhammidiyah, I saw these cute balloon ball/toys for sale along the road. Took this picture over the driver (Pak Milal), so apologies for the reflection. 

I kind of wanted to buy one. 
The next day, April 26, I had to take a car two hours away, to a mountain town of Prigen, to give ANOTHER presentation (blah--this one was an hour and a half, too long!) for new English teachers about general teaching methodologies. At least, I was told it should be on that topic, only to find out later that it was supposed to be about TOEFL. No one told me. But that's another story. And that's also Indonesia for ya. 

Nice view from the hotel where I gave the presentation. 

View of the hotel. 

Me and some of the teachers at the presentation. (Notice "TOEFL" in the banner behind us.)
Then I booked it home after the presentation, getting back to Surabaya around 8pm, just in time to go out for drinks with the ETAs Morgan, Ellen, Alissa, and Nina, before they headed back to the States. (their contract is about a month shorter than the Fellows.)
Hangin' at Lava Lounge, the one decent bar in Surabaya. READ: No creepy expats. 


The next morning (yes, this was an intense weekend for me), I was picked up and taken to the English club meeting at a local school, Adibuana University. They were having a "games day," meaning thankfully I didn't have to plan anything; they just wanted me to participate in the games with them. 

This boy is from one of the local high school English clubs. He started doing the Harlem shake, and was HILARIOUS.  (The girls behind him joined in shortly after this photo was taken.)

With some of the students at the English club. 


I also managed to buy prescription glasses! My Indonesian friend Sakti helped translate for me. I ended up getting some slightly trendy frames from Levi's brand. Who knew Levi's made glasses? Ironic that I bought from the San Francisco-based brand all the way over in Indonesia. 
Selfie with greasy hair. 

Finally, on Sunday the 28th of April (yup, same weekend), I went to ANOTHER English club at a different college, as a favor for one of the students I've gotten to know through my work at the Consulate, Sulaiman. He's the president of the English club at his school, and just wanted me to come talk about something fun. So I talked about top tourist destinations in the U.S. (a presentation I already did once).
The English club gave me traditional Indonesian dessert after the presentation. Klepon and Gempo! Bean cakes and sticky rice balls with coconut shavings you sprinkle on top. 

After the presentation, Sulaiman basically forced me to get bakso at his favorite local stand. I say forced, because I told him I don't LIKE bakso, but he took me anyway. To a place that serves only bakso. 


My bakso (mystery meatballs and tofu chunks in a broth with a couple noodles and some green stuff.) Yeah, not my fave. 

 ------------------------------------------------
Cut to MAY!

The first weekend in May, I got to reunite with Fellows again in Mataram, thanks to Christen organizing a seminar for her students on how to study abroad in the United States. She got 200 students!

I talked first, about how Indonesian and American universities are culturally different. Deirdre talked about the scholarships that are available, and Jess talked about how to write a statement of purpose.

That's Jess up there. 
That night, we met up with some other Fellows (who had given a presentation earlier in the day for the teachers about teaching the four basic skills), and went out for fancy dinner (PUMPKIN TORTELLINI AGAIN!!!), followed by hitching a ride with some horses down to the beach. The horses were not my idea, but Ron really wanted us to take them, so we complied. 
Josh, Ron, and me in one "carriage." Our horse's name was Maradonna. 

Holly, Deirdre, and Christen in the other. I forgot their horse's name. 

We sat on the beach in Senggigi and goofed around. Some people drank beer; I drank Vitamin C soda.  The perfect dessert. 

Deirdre, Christen, me and Holly. 


The next afternoon, I left the wonderful island of Lombok (visited three times!! It was so great!), for the last time, most likely. And I got some awesome views from our tiny plane on the way back. 

Flying over Lombok. 




2 comments:

Ari said...

Good post! I wonder what it's like to be as popular as you...

kate said...

Haha just come back to Indonesia and I'll drag you to all the presentations!