Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years

Today is the 10th anniversary of September 11th. All over the city there are memorials, exhibits, concerts and films happening. Yet I have to admit, I still don't feel a really strong emotional connection to the events that happened that day. I was living in California as a junior in high school when the Twin Towers fell, with no family in New York.  I felt almost as if it were a tragedy that happened in another country.

Today, reading the essays and tributes of people who lost loved ones, it is impossible for me not to shed tears. However, I am somewhat frustrated by the distance I feel from my other countrymen who were more directly impacted by the events of September 11.

Despite these feelings, tonight I plan to go out tonight and view the Tribute in Light, which is two bright beams of light that will be shining where the Twin Towers used to stand. This will be my own way of remembering our country's loss. 

4 comments:

CCarter said...

Kate, I feel much the same way. The Tribute in Light sounds beautiful.

As an aside, my strongest memory of that morning is you standing on your front porch brushing your teeth and telling me to come inside because something was happening. See, we have to be friends forever because we are linked in everything, including the tragedy of 9/11.

jcpix said...

This is interesting to me. I was in California too but maybe because I am older and was working at the time, I am still haunted by the images of the destruction. It is still just as devastating and upsetting to me now as it was 10 years ago. I'm glad you are going to view the tribute.

hanner said...

i feel the same way too—i didn't even know what the world trade center was! and i remember telling my dad before i left for seminary at about 6:30 am and he thought it was just a cessna or something that hit the towers. and then remember how the principal wouldn't let us watch TV that day? so ridiculous.

kate said...

That's right, Hannah! I suppose the principal wasn't able to accept the full magnitude of it either.