Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I take it back

I believe I'm on record stating that an Eastern European accent is one of my least favorite accents.  

I take it back.  That opinion does not apply to this man:


That would be Eugene Hütz, charismatic lead singer of the Ukrainian gypsy/punk band Gogol Bordello (and actor in the movie Everything is Illuminated).

I love anything gypsy-ish (Klezmer music, clarinet, accordion, etc.), and after trying to get to a show the last 3 years, I finally got to a live show last week in Pomona. Hütz's stage presence, energy and enthusiasm is amazing. I also heard him interviewed on NPR, and he's got a really interesting story (he's a survivor of Chernobyl and had to emigrate to New York with his family in the early '90s).

So yeah. Check it out if you get a chance.

No comments: