Friday, November 30, 2007

I have internet again!!

Hello!

I'm living in Point Loma right now, renting a room from one of the girls in my amTEFL program, Katy. We finished the class last week before Thanksgiving, and now I'm back to continue volunteering/assistant teaching until the end of the semester, Dec. 14th.

Life is pretty much a party now; I go in to teach about 3 hours a day at most, or not at all if I don't feel like it. (Or if I get locked out of my apartment for 4+ hours, as was the case last Wednesday. It was time well-spent bonding with the neighbors.)

The rest of the time is generally spent trying to get into jogging mode again (haven't done it for about five months), taking belly dancing classes (yes!), exploring the new bars in the area (and attempting to flirt with bartenders before finding out they moved here from Minnesota to get married....), and going to shows (we saw Iron and Wine on Tuesday, and perhaps Grand Ole Party or Blues Traveler this Sunday).

All of this translates into my bank account rapidly decreasing. But I figure it's worth it. And I'll only be down here for two more weeks. I can't completely use up my money in that span of time, right? :/

Also, my apartment is literally a 2-minute walk from the bay (I don't really know which bay, but you can kind of see Downtown San Diego on the other side), so it's really relaxing to walk along the beach and sit on the rocks to read a book or watch these weird sea black birds diving under the water for food. They can stay under the water for about a minute. Dylan, any guess what those birds might be?

OK, that's all I can think of for now. I will close with a link to this news story I found funny, and totally unimportant.

2 comments:

Ivan W. Lam said...

I can't completely use up my money in that span of time, right? :/

Christmas shopping?

Unknown said...

It sounds like you have been seeing the fabled Yacumama, relocated from Amazonia via the Panama Canal, most likely due to global warming rendering the Amazon too warm for its liking.

I hear that it can and will suck up any living thing that passes within 100 paces of it, so I'd mind where you walk just to be on the safe side. Also, if you blow a conch before you enter the water, the Yacumama will be forced to reveal itself if present.

There's also a remote chance that what you're seeing is a Double-crested Cormorant, but I'd get a good look at it through binoculars before rushing to that conclusion. Happy bird/sea monster watching!